Monday, 28 September 2009

Golden Demon

My Golden Demon entry this year was based on a classic piece of John Blanche artwork that featured on the cover of the second edition of Warhammer 40,000 back in 1993. The piece screamed SPACE MARINES! with its energy and vibrant colours.

Not Hello Kitty 40k



During my research I also found another version of John Blanche's cover painting. I don't know where this comes from, but the notable differences are the captain's expression, more yellow/gold on the Powerfist and an upgraded Bolter.

A little more grimdark



I'm not the first person to have a shot at modelling this Angel of Death. Mike McVey converted a version which appeared in the Citadel Miniatures Modelling Guide, which also got reprinted in White Dwarf 174 (June 1994). He used a whole bunch of metal Marines which weren't anywhere as modular or flexible as modern plastic kits.


McVey Blood Angel Captain



McVey Blood Angel Captain



McVey Blood Angel Captain



He did a very impressive interpretation, though I felt the legs were always a little off.

During my research I also discovered last year's Slayer Sword winner Joseph Tomaszewski had had a go too. Though again I think his effort's legs were off.

So, for my interpretation I took advantage of the current generation of modular kits, like Mr. Tomaszewski. Here's a WIP shot where I tried to get the pose right. This needed several reposes of the leg to get the distinctive bend in the left knee, which meant pretty much re-sculpting huge sections of armour. It was very tempting to jump in straight away with the small fiddly details (like the little laurels and winged droplets), but I needed to have some solid groundwork done first.

Curis WIP



In terms of painting I kept him unashamedly bright and clean. This guy's a definite child of the infamous Red Era, and I wanted to keep him fresh and pristine. I like my miniatures striking and brash at times.


Golden Demon Blood Angel



Only two problems happened during painting. I ran out of time to attach the sword, and the Powerfists's purity seal (made out of tin foil from pill packaging) snapped off.

This is my first plinthed model. I wanted a simple understated affair which allowed the model to take centre stage rather than looking like a huge chuck of wood with a model daintily placed on top. I always thought plinths were a bit of an affectation. but having made one I realise they serve the purpose of making the model more handlable and better weighted.

And so, nervously entering the competition for the first time in years I came away with a Finalist's certificate and pin badge. I was insanely delighted. I felt the brash colours and lack of battle damage would preclude me, so when the judges placed a little orange dot on my entry I was ecstatic. I even overheard one of the guys in the cabinet scrum saying, "Yeah, that well deserved it".

Next year - more entries, grittier style.

Posted by Curis at 1:22 pm

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 15 October 2009 at 02:26:00 BST , Blogger Sycopat said...

Hi there,

Followed the link from warseer, just wanted to say that that is very impressive. I particularly like that even the base is faithful to the original artwork.

 

Post a Comment

Type your mouthwords here.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Battle Barge
EATATAU!!!
Gone to Ground
Dork Tower
Servants of the Imperium
Turn Signals

Other People

Bell of Lost Souls Alliance, Warhammer Blog Network

The FtW Blogger Group

Epic UK

Miniature Mentor



Botch the Crab
Drop Pod
Jeff Wilhelm
Mephiston's
Pink Tyranids